The York Model
What we did
We introduced a Perioperative Medicine Team consisting of Consultant Anaesthetists and Specialist Nurses, supported by the wider multi-disciplinary team including Physiotherapists and Dietitians.
The Perioperative Medicine team was responsible for:
- Implementation and oversight of new perioperative pathways including enhanced risk assessment and appropriate referral to allied health professionals earlier in the patients journey.
- Daily ward rounds allowing for a comprehensive 'critical care style' review.
- Providing support and training.
- Introducing advanced cardiac monitoring onto the surgical ward alongside haemodynamic optimisation protocols.
Our nurse-led post-operative haemodynamic optimisation protocols:
- Aim to improve standards of care by ensuring patients are triaged to the correct post-operative locations.
- Enable nurses to initiate appropriate treatments and interventions.
- Provide a clear escalation plans for patients requiring higher levels of care.